KnowledgeTree is a cloud-based document management solution designed to eliminate headaches and turn what was once manual and labor-intensive into a smooth and efficient process. From sorting and organizing volumes of invoices to enabling cross-team collaboration of documents with customized workflows to facilitating contracts management, KnowledgeTree is easy to use, does not require extensive training, and enables content to be accessed and managed anytime. It’s secure, too — content is housed in a secure online environment, access is controlled by flexible group-based permissions, and data is properly backed up and quickly recoverable.
Target audience: Small to mid-market companies (50 to 1,000 employees)
Customers use KnowledgeTree to increase business process efficiency and reduce costs. KnowledgeTree eliminates the need to manage documents via email or shared drives, not to mention the need for file cabinets (we like to think we’re helping to save lots of trees in the process.)
- File Sharing and Collaboration. All content is stored in one secure location with single files shared among all coworkers. This includes versioning and full transaction history to track a document’s lifecycle.
- Secure Online Access. Files can be accessed through a secure onlin environment anywhere you have Internet access. Data is properly backed up and quickly recoverable.
- Search and Preview. The online interface allows for searching of file names, document properties and any text within documents. You can also preview documents without downloading them.
- Workflow and Document Alerts. Route documents among users according to your approval process and alert users when action is needed.
With shared documents among all co-workers, every user can ensure that he or she has the most recent version of the file. Cloud-based storage also means that files can be accessed just about anywhere, plus the online interface allows for versioning, file searches, and other functions.
KnowledgeTree is currently available with three different pricing plans.
The Starter plan is $10 per user per month and it allows for a total of 10GB web storage and a 2GB file size limit. This is based on a minimum of three users. The Business plan is $15 per user per month and it allows for 20GB of web storage per user and a maximum file size of 2GB. The largest is the Enterprise plan and it starts at 1.2TB with metered expansion and a 2GB file size limit. You need to call for pricing and plan information for this level.
Online document management and storage can also be utilized through Google Documents, Dropbox, and Microsoft SharePoint. Each has its relative advantages and disadvantages when compared to KnowledgeTree.
Opinions from around the Web
- Positive. “By leveraging an active and innovative open source community, KnowledgeTree provides an easy-to-use and production-ready enterprise document management solution for use by corporations, government institutions, medium to small business and many other organizations.” (SoftSea)
- Positive. “This effective tool can securely store all your documents and ensures complete and organized management. The tool proves to be handy in document creation, editing, applying version, and sharing.” (FreeDownloadsCenter)
- Positive. “KnowledgeTree document management system is definitely the right choice for not only large corporations but even for Small and Medium Enterprises. It will greatly improve the organizations productivity and easy of share of knowledge within their organization.” (XenStreet)
Founded in 2006, KnowledgeTree is based out of Raleigh, North Carolina. It addresses the need for document management for 380 customers around the world. They come from many different industries, including sciences, professional services, and government sectors. Daniel Chalef is its CEO and John Thorne is its COO.
Compatibility with Other Products
KnowledgeTree’s Microsoft Office Add-in lets customers browse, upload, download, search and email documents from within Microsoft Office applications, including Microsoft Outlook. The KnowledgeTree third-party community also includes Fujitsu Scansnap scanners, which enable businesses to scan invoices and have them directly uploaded into the KnowledgeTree repository.
Smartlife’s User Advice
Cloud computing is becoming increasingly attractive for regular consumers and business customers alike. KnowledgeTree offers much functionality at a reasonable price, including versioning, online access, and workflow management. There are free alternatives, but they may not be as secure or offer as many features as KnowledgeTree.
Smartlife’s Recommendation: TAKE THE 30-DAY FREE TRIAL
Image credit: cristimatei / iStockphoto
Product Watch is part of an on-going series that cuts through the sales propaganda and marketing hype, and reviews products and services from the standpoint of the user and how they actually help us get more out of life.