Central Desktop is a web-based collaboration platform that businesses can use to manage teams, projects, and documents from anywhere at any time. Central Desktop includes a full suite of online collaboration tools including wikis, online documents, task management, shared calendars, discussion forums, databases, and micro-blogging. Easy to implement and scalable for mid-sized businesses, Central Desktop helps businesses communicate efficiently, increase productivity, and reduce costs.
Target audience: Small and medium-sized businesses, as well as departments within larger companies
Central Desktop was created to provide teams, workgroups and departments with web-based collaboration tools to efficiently share files, manage projects, and connect with employees. This results in increased productivity, valuable time savings, and reduced operational costs.
- Team Collaboration. Work with different team members remotely, collaborating with online discussion threads, forums, wikis, blogs, web meetings, and social technology tools.
- Document Management. Organize, share, collaborate, edit and file all your documents online.
- Workflow Solutions. Automate business procedures and save time with powerful workflow solutions.
Intranet and project collaboration solutions provide enterprise security and performance without the enterprise hassle.
Prices range depending on the plan chosen. The Workgroup Edition plans start at $0 with two workspaces and five members per workspace and go up to $99 per month for 25 workspaces, 25 internal members, and 10 additional members per workspace.
The Enterprise Edition offers unlimited workspaces and 50 minimum members at $10 per month per user. The Community Edition allows for 25 workspaces and 100 minimum members at $3 per month per user. Other features that differentiate the plans are the total storage, maximum upload, API access, web folders, offsite backups, support type, and web meetings, among others.
There are many other online collaboration tools available like Onehub, Google Documents, and Basecamp.
Opinions from around the Web
- Positive. “An online video demo and easily-navigated dashboard help Central Desktop be a great choice for the casual project management user.” (TopTenReviews.com)
- Positive. “Despite a few drawbacks, this is the only product on the market that I found so far that provides this level of functionality for the price.” (Office2Reviews.com)
- Positive. “It is also great for collaboration, and because it runs like an academic bulletin board system, it can make it easy for entry level team members to become acquainted with it.” (Brighthub)
Central Desktop delivers a complete, pure Software-as-a-Service (SaaS) social technology platform that allows business teams to communicate and collaborate more efficiently. Easy to implement and scalable for mid-market businesses, Central Desktop’s software collaboration solution allows business teams to interact, share and manage their daily work activities from anywhere at any time.
Founded in 2005, Central Desktop is a privately-held company with headquarters in Pasadena, California.
Smartlife’s User Advice
Central Desktop looks like it could prove to be an invaluable tool to small- and medium-sized businesses, particularly with team members who are working remotely. The feature list isn’t quite as robust as some other collaboration tools online, but the pricing schemes and the enterprise-level security are certainly attractive. Take the free account out for a test drive and determine whether Central Desktop will satisfy the needs of your business.
Smartlife’s Recommendation: TRY IT FIRST
Image credit: cristimatei / iStockphoto
Product Watch is part of an on-going series that cuts through the sales propaganda and marketing hype, and reviews products and services from the standpoint of the user and how they actually help us get more out of life.